Wednesday

The Houseguest by Elizabeth Adams

Rating: 5 out of 5
Source: Bought
Paperback: 304 pages
Publisher:  Createspace
Publication date: 08 May 2014
ISBN: 978-1492318743

First Line - "Dearest brother, all is well here and I have quite recovered from my bout of cold"
When Georgiana Darcy travels to Netherfield to visit her brother, she becomes friends with a neighbor, Elizabeth Bennet. After Miss Darcy returns to town, she invites her new friend to stay with her at the Darcy home in London while her brother is away. Mr. Darcy returns unexpectedly and is trapped under the same roof with Elizabeth Bennet for three weeks. Will this change in circumstances lead to a change in affections? Can Elizabeth see past his hauteur to the man underneath? Filled with familiar faces and new characters, you will fall in love with Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy all over again.
Well, the blurb was right, I did fall in love with Elizabeth and Mr Darcy all over again!  I feel I'm going to give all my JAFF books a glowing review as I'm just loving being back in the P&P world, no matter what the circumstances of the story.  That might all change,
obviously, as I venture further into what's available but so far (and to be fair I've only read two, including this one) I'm hooked.


Since my last post I've found out that my label of 'FF' wasn't far off, it's actually known as 'JAFF' (Jane Austen Fan Fiction).  So many sub genres too...

So, the story -  Well, I thought it was great.  Darcy was adorable and Elizabeth was Elizabeth, what's not to like?   The other P&P main cast were mostly missing so that the story could focus on the two important people but Georgiana had a big part to play in the proceedings and I liked to see her friendship with Elizabeth growing.

It still seems a bit strange to read about Darcy and Elizabeth and have them doing things outside of the limits from P&P. I suppose that's the draw of JAFF but I'm not sure how that will work when I get into the modern retellings.  Time will tell, I suppose...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...